Unwanted thoughts can be quite upsetting and challenging particularly if suffering from an anxiety disorder. Our minds are able to play extraordinary tricks. Our feelings can become strange, frightening or bizarre.
It may be useful to remember that your fearful, negative, unwanted thoughts are a part along with a solution of your stressed out physiology. You do not need to take any notice of them - just recognize that they're another symptom of an anxiety disorder and let them pass. As the neurological system of yours settles down, so will your mind. In the meantime, the following are some pointers for dealing with them. (Remember to check out anxietyunravelled's many other free tips to help the body of yours and mind regain balance, peace and calm, like information about flower essences like White Chestnut and Boronia, which really are assistive in settling unwanted and circling thoughts.)
1. Choose not to provide consideration to unwanted thoughts that will perpetuate your anxiety state (worrying, negative, circling thoughts) Yes, I know, this can be easier said than done, but carry on reading for tips that will help make this practice a lot more achievable.
2. Know that difficult and unwanted thoughts are merely a part of the imbalance that has been caused by all the numberless stresses that you have encountered - they're not real, they will start to lose the power of theirs as you get started to recover. After the recovery of yours, a notion which will send a shock of stress through you then will become just another thought that you won't bother paying any attention to.
3. Unwanted thoughts will inevitably arise? don't attempt to push them out or resist them or fight them, this's bad attention? in other words, it's always interest. It is a little like getting a song stuck in the head of yours. When this occurs there's simply one right way to remove the offending song and that is to replace it with some thing else, especially another song. It is the same with unwanted thoughts. Whenever you attempt to induce the song or perhaps other unwanted thoughts away, this increases resistance, that only presents strength to their profile.
4. Allow your unwanted thoughts to be there, allow room around them. Gently replace the thoughts with something better in addition to let the extra feelings to travel without forcing them out. When you are able to, stay away from going back to check out whether they're gone? which will be inclined to take them back. But do not care if this occurs, just keep practising - you'll get there in the end.
5. Use this tendency of the thoughts to need to replay thoughts repeatedly and discover an inspirational song, prayer or phrase to sing.
6. Whilst usually it may be helpful to tell a particularly persistent attention to become lost, generally speaking it's ultimately more effective in case you are able to allow these ideas to exist. Accept them - "oh there is yet another fearful/doubting/anxious thought again, it is OK, it is simply a lot of words - it might have just as very easily be my brain saying then, banana!", banana, and banana allow the focus of yours to be absorbed by something different. Know they are just another symptom.
7. It might be very useful to look at what is happening in the body when you've Motivation Eliminate Intrusive Thoughts worrying or unpleasant thoughts. Mentally skim the body? where are you feeling sensations? Is it possible to are feeling tightness, stress, high temperatures, cool, unsettledness? Just feel the sensations without seeking to alter them. This is effective as it provides your brain something else to focus on and also brings you into the present moment. Typically this's adequate to enable the unpleasant sensations to dissipate as the thoughts that were sustaining them have had the attention removed from them.
8. You could have to get yourself a pep talk (see the Anxiety Unravelled ebook for the scientific explanation for this)? something along the lines of you realize that in case you provide too much attention to these views you are just going to keep your anxiety going? you do not have to pay attention, these thoughts are just a product of my existing imbalance and they're not genuine, I can let them go and get on with something better or maybe whatever words work for you.
9. Reframe unhelpful thoughts? it is unhelpful to dwell on thoughts that are negative about yourself or perhaps others and most of the millions of potential what ifs. Reframe thoughts for example I will never get over this, to something like I might not being feeling better today, however, I am doing every aspect I have to and eventually I will feel better just like huge numbers of people before me. Reframe what ifs by reminding yourself that there's absolutely no point stressing about a thing that might never come about and in case it does occur you will deal with it then.
10. Thoughts can be applied to our benefit. When we're caught up in the intense symptoms which are able to surround anxiety and panic attacks, we have the instant destructive effect that our thoughts could have on our physiology. A single thought can be enough to send an immediate lightening bolt of intense fear through the body. When you have experienced this there can be no doubt remaining that our thoughts affect us physically. What we can forget, however, is that we can also use this mind/body connection to the advantage of ours by spending time each day nurturing ourselves with loving thoughts. There are plenty of ways that are different to do this and also what feels right and very comfortable for you will be very useful, but here is an idea:
Buy yourself a CD visualisation exercise. These can help you get started to replace unwanted thoughts with a lot more uplifting and handy ones. Usually we need to retrain our habitual way of thinking into something even more optimistic. These are oftentimes available at health food shops, alternative bookshops or perhaps yoga centres. Yoga Nidra Deep Relaxation is also especially beneficial.
When you're troubled by unwanted thoughts it can help reminding yourself of who is in charge of your thinking! These are only thoughts, and you are developing them, frightening yourself.